Baking is like creating your own company: you need to have all the ingredients in the right proportion. It’s more than just whisking the eggs, the flour or the butter. Baking is a meticulous work that requires a lot of attention and patience. Even though it can be tiring, believe me it’s exciting and rewarding. At first, we wanted to do a strawberry tart but we still need to work on the crust so we switch to a pound cake flavored with strawberry and lemon. Enjoy the recipe down below and have fun trying it at home.
Step 1: The pastry cream
2 cups (480 ml) milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- in a bowl, blend the egg yolks with sugar until the mixture becomes lightly white. Then, add the cornstarch.
- In a saucepan, pour the milk and the vanilla extract. You can also scrape half a vanilla pod with a knife, and add the seeds and the pod to the milk (vanilla pod brings better flavor but if you don’t have it, the extract will be just fine). Bring to boil on low heat for good brew vanilla in the milk.
- Once the concoction is well blended, pour half of the boiling the milk flavored with vanilla into the egg yolks mixture. Pour it over the remaining milk and bring it back to the simmer on medium-high while stirring until thickens. When the cream is sufficiently cooked, turn off heat and continue to whisk for it to cool faster. To avoid the formation of a crust on the surface, incorporate the butter into the cream. Thus, the cream will keep supple and shiny. Keep it refrigerated until the cake is ready.
Step 2: The cake
1 cup of flour
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
lemon zest and juice
a tsp of vanilla
a tsp of baking powder
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until slightly pale. Then, add the melted butter along with the vanilla extract and the lemon zest.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the flour and the baking powder. incorporate the mixture into the large bowl and add half of the lemon juice. Blend it well until you get a homogenous batter.
- Pour the batter in a buttered and floured pan and put it in the preheated oven at 350 degrees F. until golden (approximately 25 minutes)
Step 3: Assembling the cake
- once your cake is ready, let it cool for about 30 min.
- After that time, spread the pastry cream with a spatula evenly on the cake.
- Put in the strawberries cut in half on the top of the pastry cream
- your cake is ready for serving
Tips and tricks
- Before refrigerating your cream, make sure the cover it with a plastic wrap and press it right on the top of the cream to prevent it for having a bad look.
- In addition to be very juicy and delicious, strawberries have major positive effects on your health: there are known to be antioxidants but others benefits include promoting eye health and fight bad cholesterol.